Atlanta Doll Collectors Show 2022: A Con Review!

I have always desired to stop by a Barbie show ever since I learned how to restore rooted hair. I got my chance near Atlanta last weekend!



I know, I know... this is Action Figure Almanac, but as I have said in a previous post, Barbie is the best 1/6 companion to G.I. Joe. Also, if you manage to make it to the end of this post, you will see exactly why these shows are worth a stop for 1/6 action figure collectors!


The Atlanta Doll Collectors Show took place on May 21, 2022 at the Hilton Doubletree in Tucker, GA!

Admission was only $5 ($4 with the flyer), and they had these nice kente dresses donated for door prizes!

The show was located in a lobby along with the hotel showroom!

The dealers had majority Barbie products both vintage and modern, new and used. They also had other types of dolls like antique and porcelain which I have absolutely no knowledge of.

Here was a dealer with MIB Barbies. They were decently priced, but I was looking more for used dolls to kitbash with.

Some dealers had miscellaneous 1/6 accessories such as shoes, bling, and food. These are great to pick up at these shows, because they can be unnecessarily pricey on the Internet.

Fellow Barbie customizer and friend, Trice, sold me this broken Power Team figure for next to nothing! She is actually the reason I heard about the show; check out her awesome stuff here!

Apparently, there was a big diorama put up later in the day, but this doll house was the closest thing to a diorama I saw. It would have been cool to see like a big beach or mall setup full of fun custom dolls!

Fellow Joe kitbasher EJ White of JoeLanta had a table there! Of course I dug through his bins and found some bargains on used Joes!

I did not figure this out until I had already left, but the awesome table above is from LayleeMDollClothes! She specializes in kente outfits for both Barbie and Ken!

I wished I had taken the time to tell her who I was! Several years ago, she actually made the outfit for the first award winning figure I put together before I knew how to sew! She's very nice and makes super cool art; I highly suggest picking up some of her stuff!

This was my haul from the show! Notice the action figures and the superposable Ken. My deal of the day was the 1960's blond G.I. Joe I got for $5! I spent less then $50 on the whole show, and that included my admission!

The Atlanta Doll Show was definitely no action figure show, but I did not expect it to be.

The general rule is that you get the best deals on toys that are not emphasized at a specific show.

I came to this convention looking for bargains on action figures, and that is exactly what I found. I even found bargains on Barbies too. This show had nice people, cool stuff, and good deals. I would highly suggest it to anyone who customizes 1/6 figures/dolls. If I am not busy during next year's show, I will be sure to make another appearance!

-Chuck

Comments

  1. It was great seeing u again Chuck!!!! 💓 thanks for the shout out! Next time u gotta get a table fam!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts