The South Louisville Antique & Toy Mall!

I was in Atlanta not too long ago, and while conversing with a fellow collector, he mentioned a toy mall in Louisville, KY. Well, I recently took a trip up to the Bluegrass State and had to see what all of the fuss was about!


Let's see what all interesting goodies I ran into!


The South Louisville Antique & Toy Mall is in South Louisville, KY and only a few minutes away from the airport. Its location is very convenient, and the area is not crowded or dense at all.

From the outside, this antique mall looks small, but when you walk in, it is actually quite large! Inside are aisles of glass cabinets full of different dealers' old and new toy merchandise.

These are the Sectaurs from Zica Toys based on the 80's action figure line. I personally do not own any, but I do have a few of its sister line, Adventure People, figures. Zica figures are very good quality and possess a strong play value!

Here are a few of the late 90's/ early 2000's Hasbro Action Man figures. Traditionally, Action Man has been a European counterpart to G.I. Joe, but I recognize these were some that Hasbro tried to sell stateside. These three figures were decent, but Hasbro unfortunately never brought over any of the really cool ones. They were afraid of cannibalizing on their G.I. Joe sales at the time.

Here is a Mattel DC Super Heroes Supergirl. They were the mid-2000's predecessor to the DC Universe Classics line. Sculpted by the Four Horsemen, these were produced to compete with the Toybiz Marvel Legends. These possessed better articulation than the standard Mattel superhero figure and came with comic books (later replaced by cheap cardboard display backdrops). I have this figure already, and she still holds up well to today's action figure standards.

One seller had a cabinet of various WWII Germans from Ultimate Soldier and Dragon. I did not buy any of these because 1/6 WII Germans are fairly common, but they are still cool to see!

In the early 2000's, Lego was going bankrupt by mismanagement of the company. One of its attempts to stay afloat was the creation of Galidor. These were a range of decent action figures consisting of humans and aliens that could swap limbs. It even had a so-so TV show on Saturday mornings. Galidor was such a bomb, that even Toys R Us put them on clearance, thus allowing me to collect most of the line! After this flop, Lego fortunately saved its company with the Star Wars license and its innovative Bionicle line.

Here is a Bandai Sofubi Gigan and Space Godzilla. I already have the Gigan, and the Space Godzilla was more than I wanted to pay. Higher price tags seem to be common on these for some reason.

This is the 2004 G.I. Joe Classic Collection Adventure Team set, Secret of Planet Xenome! These were originally $30-$35, and were mostly available at Target or Toys R Us. What was cool about this adventure, was not only did it come with a badass Joe sized alien, the alien also came in 3 different variants! This is the 'brain' alien which is the one I fortunately bought as a kid. The other two aliens were the 'mollusk' alien and the 'sleestak' alien. The variants used the same body but in a different color; they also possessed different alien hands!

Here is a selection of the new Megos concurrently available at Target and Wal-Mart. They are a bit of a challenge to track down, but they are better quality than their 70's ancestors. I personally like their monsters and Star Trek lines the best, because they produced a higher selection of characters than most lines that tackle those properties.

The cheesy figure with the black shirt is from the G.I. Joe knock-off line Strike Force. It was a British line, so I guess he was technically a knock-off of Action Man. These came out in the late 90's, and you could find them at Target and various Christmas catalogs. They were not super great figures, but their prices were extremely competitive. They made figures with interesting uniform patterns and also produced some fun one-off figures such as an assassin.

These are the McFarlane X-Files Movie toys that came out in 1998. They are no Marvel Legends, but I have handled these before, and they are really not bad, especially for their price point. These are honestly the best X-Files toys available unless you are willing to drop high dollar.

Another spotlight of the Toy Mall was a huge model train diorama located in the back of the store! There was even a hobbyist in the back maintaining and improving the model!

I am huge fan of any type of miniature diorama. Although I do not dabble in model trains, I love viewing these and credit these as a contributing factor for my love of Lego's and Lego dioramas.

After a few hours of forgetting to blink. I finally walked away with only spending about $10. I was also trying to save cash for the KYJoe Winter fest, but I bought the Strike Force figure and the 1/6 wooden mannequin that the original G.I. Joe was based from. The South Louisville Antique & Toy Mall was definitely worth the stop, and I will be stopping by every time I hit up Louisville!

"Freedom from the glass case!!!"

-Chuck

Comments

Popular Posts