The Metropolis Super Museum!

It's a bird! It's a plane! NO! It's a hick town in southern Illinois! I was crossing though Illinois, and saw a sign for Metropolis on the interstate! I had no other option than to stop and experience the largest collection of Superman memorabilia in the world!



I tried to emphasize the "action figure" parts of this museum, but much of the other stuff was just too cool to not share!


This is the Superman statue in the middle of town. The Super Museum is right across the street!

The Super Museum!

A closer view to the museum. Notice the phone booth!

When you walk in, Superman is everywhere: the walls, floor, the ceiling!

Random super memorabilia!

This is a custom George Reeves G.I. Joe in black and white attire!

Here is another George Reeves Joe custom, but in color!

This was one of the costumes worn by George Reeves in the original 1950's TV show!

This was the dickie worn by George Reeves to quickly transition into the Man of Steel!

Here is some more art and memorabilia!

This is an awesome Lego minifigure scale representation of the Super Museum! The larger Superman minifigure on the wall is a Lego keychain LED light with the keychain removed.

I'm assuming the blonde and the Momoa Superman minifigures are representations of the current curators of the museum. The Amy Adams Lois Lane to the right did not look like an authentic Lego figure.

This is the Superman and Ultra Woman costumes from the 1990's Lois & Clark TV show. I never cared much for this show, because it emphasized more on the couple's romance than it did on Superman fighting for truth, justice, and the American way.

Here is a custom of the Dean Cain Superman. It looks like a Sideshow type body with a nice likeness of the half Japanese actor.

Apparently, Superman telephones were a thing!

These were the original 14 inch Mego Superman figures that came out in the 70's! Mego rereleased the Superman, purple Lex, and Zod a few years ago; they are nice as well.

This was the costume Christopher Reeve wore for the 1978 Superman movie!

Here are some figures and their factory prototypes from Mattel's DC Superheroes line! These were the precursor to the DC Universe Classics (DCUC). Like DCUC, these were sculpted by the Four Horsemen and posses the same amount of articulation. I remember in 2006, that Lex and Superman convinced me to start buying the line!

This is their 2013 Man of Steel memorabilia. There were not any movie props yet; Warner Bros. is still likely holding on to those. Henry Cavill is my favorite Superman. To me, he looks and acts like Superman from the mid 2000's Justice League cartoon!

Here are some original 1960's Captain Action figures and Superman accessories! If you look real close, you can even see Action Boy in Superboy attire. As far as vintage figures go, these are some big money items!

In the Justice league room, there is a giant custom Doomsday!

This was my favorite George Reeves custom of the museum! He is better displayed with his diorama of the intro to his TV show!

There was a great gift shop down the street for the Superman museum too. They were many decently priced figures there of Superman and other lines that I collect like G.I. Joe and Marvel Legends. I only picked up the variant 2013 Movie Masters Man of Steel that I did not have and this super snowglobe!

The admission to the Super Museum was only $5, but it was worth tremendously more! If you pass through Metropolis, IL, stop by and see this national treasure! You will want to thwart evil after walking through!

"Fights a never ending battle, for truth, justice, and the American way!"

-Chuck

Comments

  1. I bought a general zod 14inch mego and a batman. I missed out on superman tho. That was a cool write up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First off, thank you for pointing out that they are 14 inches instead of 13! (I knew better!)

      The repro Mego Superman was primarily available at Target. Some Targets, may still have him. I have seen Clark in many "damaged goods" or closeout stores too such as Dirt Cheap or Bargain Hunt. I have also ran into a few at flea markets. They usually fetch for not much more than retail. Hope this helps! :)

      Delete
    2. I bought two Superman dvds from dollartree over Christmas 🎄 The original cut of Superman 🦸‍♂️ 2 and documentary of the entire history of Superman. I might have a reason to watch them now. Thank you. The Richard Donnor cut of Superman 2 is the one available in the boxeset. I have the original for one dollar. Plus a 2hour documentary

      Delete
    3. Those are good deals! I need to rewatch the Christopher Reeve movies! Continue buying hard copies of film you love! Society can’t edit your DVDs. If they were willing to mess with the original edit of Star Wars, nothing is off the table!

      Delete
  2. What do you think of knock offs? I bought 4 palitoy type Action Man figure s for 15 bucks each. I'm happy with them. And I found 2 more neo henshin cyborgs for twenty bucks each. Sorry this should be on superman 🦸‍♂️ I always wanted a fortress of solitude playset. They never got to do that

    ReplyDelete
  3. The name of the dvd 📀 i bought at dollartree is look up in the sky! The amazing story of Superman

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts