Kentucky Joe Winterfest 2021!: A Con Review!

The awesome guys who coordinated the annual Kentucky Joe Summer Con decided to put together a smaller toy gathering on January 23rd this year! I had such a blast during their summer show, I figured it would be worth traveling to this show even if it was smaller!



The show had an early bird of admission of $20 which included Friday night access and Saturday general admission. It was 100% worth it!


The front lobby arrow pointing to where the action is!

Saturday attendance was great! It was not quiet, but folks were not shoving each other for Soylent Green either!

Boxed Vintage G.I.Joe Adventure Team sets. These are way above my budget and do not fit into my collection, but they sure are cool to view in person!

Loose random figures ready for bargaining! These are some of the best lots to dig through at a con. You can find some real gems that others regard as disposable!

One of the main reasons for returning to KY was for the Mark Cole booth! Mark designs and makes incredible custom clothing for 1/6 Joes. Last summer, I bought his Breeches Buoy outfit made from a woven plastic material, but it did not handle movement well, so he replaced it for me with this phenomenal cloth version! If you ever get the chance to meet him and purchase some of his art, DO IT!

A Marvel Legends bin! Always ask what the dealer is fishing for on bins like this before doing a deep dive. Fortunately, this guy was just trying to thin out his collection, so he basically gave me a steal!

1/6 odds and ends! Boots, weapons, clothing, headgear, and God knows what else! Cons are best for odds and ends, because you can bundle and not pay for shipping.

Another reason for this trip was for the Mattsquatch Customs table! Mattsquatch specializes in casting and reproducing toy miniature weapons. He finally remade the groovy 60's Captain Action laser rifle, so I contacted him a week before the show to custom cast two of them in CA blue! If you need a strong, solid looking custom weapon for your 1/6 figure, contact Mattsquatch Customs!

Excluding the CA figure and the Breeches Buoy figure/costume (the rooted figure was done by me), this eclectic lot cost me $262 total! If you are curious about what any of these items cost or is normally worth, leave a comment.

I used to wonder what made conventions special. The key to a fun convention is the people. Great people coordinate and set up this show, and the same goes for JoeLanta. As long as attendees are not greedy and want to share the hobby, I will continue attending these shows.

G.I. Joe forever!

-Chuck

Comments

Popular Posts